May 20, 2019, 09:08:29 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2019, 09:08:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 17:59:03
First try always:  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2nd try loads OK.
Gaza07:
16 May 2019 06:19:20
I think you came on before it had finished, I'm prob gonna try mruk on this server to.
Bad Raven:
15 May 2019 21:17:50
1st tiem here after your change it threw up various "not permitted" and Error 432's, now loading OK.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1628
  • Total Topics: 167
  • Online Today: 2
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (October 30, 2018, 11:03:43 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Theme Changer

Bargain Beginners Printer

Started by Gaza07, March 16, 2018, 07:17:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaza07

March 16, 2018, 07:17:08 am Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:19:48 am by Gaza07
Hobby King have a flash sale and are selling a printer with heat bed and auto leveling at a very low price it is ideal for anyone wanting to start off 3d printing or just for something to tinker with

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tronxy-x-3-desktop-3d-printer-kit-w-auto-level-uk-plug.html
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk
https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about

nate80

I was interested in the tronxy x-3 as an additional work horse and spent some time looking into it. Apparently it's not a good first printer for people without tech experience as it's not well set up and needs items printing for it to make it print well. The instructions suck too, and the control box isn't great with unfriendly firmware and poor buttons.

That said, it's definitely a good price if buyers are willing to put in the time and effort to sort it.  ~~

Gaza07

Its always best to do a bit of googling before buying anything and get a balanced view, when I bought my anycubic there was good and bad reports on it but I took a punt and, ordered one I was very pleased with it once I had built it and set it up,
I think anyone who is getting into 3d printing for the first time are facing a huge learning curve and after a short time will probably want to upgrade parts or all of it,
Having said that if the tronxy has more bad feedback than good then its gotta be a  :thumbdown: avoid and look else where  :beer2:

nate80

I think you're spot on.   :smiley:   At the moment I guess 3D printing is mostly for the tech minded anyway, and they don't mind getting involved with a project that involves fixing weaknesses and improving things, so it's not a big problem.  And the X-3 is meant to print well once it's sorted (and I think quite a lot of the negative feedback is based on the original model that didn't include a self levelling probe and a few other upgrades).  It just may not be for peeps who are brand new to 3d printing and aren't technically minded (or patient!  :laugh: ).

I'm tempted to pick one up as the build volume's impressive for the price.   :beer2:

Gaza07

To be honest at that price which is lower than I paid for my extruder if i wasnt skint I would buy one just for the pleasure of tinkering with it could esily sell it on once its working well  ~~

shawdreamer

March 16, 2018, 03:39:20 pm #5 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:38:51 pm by shawdreamer
Id buy one now....

I wouldnt buy one if I was new to 3d printing....

even without delving to indepth into the reviews I can see a definite issue with the frame, yes theyve use extrusion, thats a good start....but why for god sake then make the jointing so fundamentally small and no doubt weak due to it, the frames design makes it generally susceptible to z-wobble and excessive movement, the small one bolt jointing points will only add to that issue.

Ill put money on the frame bouncing about like a loon once the print gets above 5mm off the bed, it'll need some serious vertical stiffening if its gonna stand a chance of producing anything of decent height.

like I said though, Id buy one now... but only because I have the years of experience needed to properly identify and correct the issues it'll have, a noob would be pulling their hair out in minutes.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

nate80

Delivery came today.

[attach=1]

What could it be?!   :whistling:

shawdreamer

Slayer23

Quote from: nate80 on March 21, 2018, 12:43:24 pm
Delivery came today.

[attach=1]

What could it be?!   :whistling:

Looking at that box I hope it was not glass
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

nate80

Quote from: shawdreamer on March 21, 2018, 01:41:59 pm

:hmm:

Nope, not a photo of your mam!   :rofl:   ;)

Quote from: Slayer23 on March 21, 2018, 01:52:27 pm
Looking at that box I hope it was not glass

Nope, not a box of shattered glass for my stained glass window project neither.   :laugh:

In case the subject hasn't given it away it's a Tronxy X3A.  Actually looks fairly decent on quick glance.  Nicely protected box with plenty of foam (thankfully) and all the bits seem to be inside.  Hopefully get the time to put it together this weekend.   ~~

shawdreamer

Quote from: nate80 on March 21, 2018, 05:44:24 pm
Nope, not a photo of your mam!   :rofl:   ;)

no way for me to refute that statement as I havnt seen the bint since I was about 11yrs old :shrug:

but given the size of her then you'd atleast have to add a couple hundred pounds of air pressure to that doll to make it look similar....

Slayer23

Oi where did you get that pic of she who must be obeyed ????
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

shawdreamer

<remembers he's supposed to be a moderator and therefore setting an example on how to behave on the forum>

<cough cough>

so Nate, when are making a start on the build?

by the looks of it it should be a pretty straight forward job, with a little luck you could have it together in 2-3hrs (2hrs if your experienced building, 3hrs if your not but the instructions are atleast half decent and not in "Ingwish")

nate80

Quote from: shawdreamer on March 22, 2018, 08:57:40 am
<remembers he's supposed to be a moderator and therefore setting an example on how to behave on the forum>

<cough cough>

so Nate, when are making a start on the build?

by the looks of it it should be a pretty straight forward job, with a little luck you could have it together in 2-3hrs (2hrs if your experienced building, 3hrs if your not but the instructions are atleast half decent and not in "Ingwish")

:slap:  Yeah, it dawned on me that maybe it wasn't the forums normal display of p.c!  But kudos for a great sense of humour  ~~

I'm hoping to put the Tronxy together on the weekend.  Does look pretty straight forward, doesn't it.  There's plenty of horror stories out there of instructions that aren't in order and lots of screws and bolts missing.  There's a few video reviews and even a time lapsed build video on Youtube, and they all go on about the build being frustrating and pretty awful (things were thrown across room, etc.) but, I don't know: Doesn't look too bad.  Famous last words?!?   :laugh:

Oh yeah, and there are some upgrades that are suggested to be printed and fitted mid build, like Y carriage braces that stop the bed wobbling (which is bad apparently).

If I find a moment today I'll give it all a proper look.  I'll read the assembly instructions thoroughly before the build and hopefully know what I'm doing come Saturday.  :rolleyes: 

:beer2:

nate80

So, here's what I've found out about the bargain Tronxy X3A from Hobbyking.

Sorry it's a little long.

About an hour and a half was spent removing awful wax paper that coats both sides of all 20 odd pieces of acrylic, and then checking all the parts. An hour or so reading all the various guides and watching the video included on the SD Card, and then another 30 minutes spent figuring to the correct way to do it all after realising the various guides are missing steps and contradict each other.   :rolleyes:

The actual build took about 4 hours as I wanted to be sure it was square and true.

Few small issues like, a few M4 T-Nuts and screws were missing, the pipe for the filament holder didn't fit, the instructions literally failed to mention 2 left over acrylic pieces that look like stop switch mounts...  All wasted some more time.  But the printers built perfectly square and with a surprisingly stiff frame.

Then the pain began.  Never expected this but I've spent the past 6 hours trying to get the X3A to print.  Feels like there's so much going wrong, and it's mostly in uncharted territory for me (I've only ever used manual bed level 3d printers).

The printer has no Z-Axis switch and relies on the included Sensor Probe.  The manufacturers instructions on calibrating the bed levelling feature are partially wrong, as was a short guide written by an X3A owner.  Maybe the firmware's changed or something?  But after 5 hours of trial and error I've learned the 'correct' way to adjust the Z-Offset.  And frankly I don't fully understand the reason for the sensor probe.  It doesn't seem to allow the printer to be at all clever and it can't compensate for an unlevelled bed.  It just makes the levelling process more painful?  Perhaps I'll better understand its value with time?

Here are the problems I'm having:

The height of the nozzle seems to randomly change by tenths of a mm.  It can be after the extruder performs an auto home, or after the machine is turned off, or after the 'bed level test' function is selected.  Layer 1 of a print I did was barely above the bed and then layer 2 dug into the bed.  The probe illuminates faster when I pass a metal ruler under it (6 mm's away) compared to the actual print bed (3.8mm away).  It has been ok for the past few 'test' prints though and printed just over the bed each time.

I'm not testing the X3A's printing ability just yet, I'm more testing the nozzle height and the Bowden extruder that skips constantly when it's near the bed.  When it's high off the bed it doesn't skip AT ALL, but as it gets closer it skips relentlessly.  I've tried adjusting the extruder gear spring, but tightening it just makes it worse (skips more and violently) and it skips when it's at its least amount of tension too.  So I assumed maybe it's getting blocked at the nozzle?  But even when I print so the nozzle is 1mm off the bed (and the PLA can't even press into the heat bed) it still skips constantly, like every second.  The first time I tried adjusting the length of nylon feed tube the clicking almost stopped, but it must have been a fluke as it's clicking constantly now however I adjust it.  I wondered if there is a blockage?  The PLA seems to come through ok although it might actually look a little thinner than expected.

The home position seems off and the extruder ends up well beyond the left and front edges of the print bed.  I wondered if the Y and X Axis stops were in the wrong place.  They are clearly shown in the instructions attached to the frame and have pre cut acrylic pieces for this purpose, but those positions allow the print bed to move left and back so that the nozzle is WELL off of the print bed surface.  Never seen that before.  I have a plan to test that when I get printing properly in Cura, and place a small item in the middle of the virtual print bed to see where on the real print bed it appears.  Time will tell on that one.

The printer's software is pretty terrible too.  It crashes when I hold a button for more than a couple of seconds when raising the Z Axis and it randomly refuses to lower the Z Axis height.  It's very buggy.

:-/