Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:53:10

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:53:10

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
12 Sep 2019 17:37:38
Sugar Boom Boom !!!!
Hozza:
12 Sep 2019 10:07:52
BooM!
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1727
  • Total Topics: 179
  • Online Today: 4
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Free Online Classes

Started by trebor, Saturday,March 10, 2018, 11:42:28

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor

Are any of these 3d printing online classes any good ? Whats the catch with them ?  I would like to design my own bits one day, I can put pen to paper but no computer skills as such. What would be the best way / program for me to start off with.  :hmm:

Doug

Quote from: trebor on Saturday,March 10, 2018, 11:42:28
Are any of these 3d printing online classes any good ? Whats the catch with them ?  I would like to design my own bits one day, I can put pen to paper but no computer skills as such. What would be the best way / program for me to start off with.  :hmm:

Fusion360 seems to be the one most people use unless you have unlimited pockets that is   and there are a lot of youtube videos on it as well check out makersmuse .

I personally use Freecad but only cos I have got used to it and haven't had the time or inclination to get into F360.

shawdreamer

If your totally unfamiliar with 3d model designing then 360fusion would likely melt your brain within minutes, It great for high tech and high precision designing but can very very quickly overwhelm the unprepared

even the simpler freecad is imho too much to throw at a complete novice with zero experience and only just starting out making their own 3d designs.

start simple and use tinkercad, it uses such a simple design method that even a child could get to grips with it after some practice (I'm not exaggerating there either, its UI works pretty similar to how you would use something like lego), that's not to say it isn't capable, as you get better at designing you'll find it can be used to make even complicated designs, I still lean heavily on it for a great many of my designs, including my printer and quadcopter designs.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Gaza07

I use Tinkercad and it is very easy to use and once you realise how you can group shapes / holes together its pretty good, you can also import STL files into it and mess about with them https://www.tinkercad.com/#/  ~~
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

trebor

Oh I forgot to say as long as its free. Is there such a program thats free and you can keep it private ?

shawdreamer

obviously "free"cad is free

so is tinkercad

cant recall if fusion is limited usage in its free format though
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Doug

Quote from: shawdreamer on Saturday,March 10, 2018, 13:28:04
obviously "free"cad is free

so is tinkercad

cant recall if fusion is limited usage in its free format though

Fusion is limited in its free mode to you making no more than 100K dollars a year and you have to re-register annually so to all intense and purposes free to us.

nate80

Tinkercad is definitely the best place to start.  On first look it's simple to use and start modelling in, but it's got hidden depths that allow for semi-sophisticated designs once you've learned how to get the most out of it.  I quite enjoy figuring out how to design complex multi-form shaped models, but there is only so far tinkered can take you.  I've been at it a while and feel like I've found the depths of the program so I'm moving over to Fusion now.

Doug

Although Fusion does have a high learning curve I have found it hard to go there due in part to what I suppose is muscle memory using other systems.

By that I mean it may be worth the pain of jumping in at the deep end and reap the benefits later

trebor

Thanks I will have a look at it see how I get on  ~~

nate80

As you mentioned your computer skills aren't yet at a pro (or intermediate?) level I think you're best off starting out with tinkercad. It's quite widely regarded as the go-to entry into 3d modeling. It's quite forgiving and includes animated teaching aids to help you get going, plus loads of YouTube tutorial videos too.

Tinkercad also runs in your standard web browser so it doesn't require any downloading of software. I'd imagine starting out with a pro or industry focused modeling package will be overwhelming and, frankly, not a lot of fun.

Good luck, whatever you decide.  ~~

trebor

Is there a free version for Fusion 360 apart from the 30 day trial ?

Doug

Quote from: trebor on Monday,March 12, 2018, 10:54:32
yes you download the trial and then you register as an enthusiast and you get a rolling one year licence for it as long as you make less than 100K$ per year from it and you re-register each year

nate80

Quote from: trebor on Monday,March 12, 2018, 10:54:32

Yep, check it out here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

Scroll down the page to: Activation - Individual Licenses

As long as you continue to meet the companies T & C's, and renew your subscription each year, it's effectively free for ever (or until that start charging for it).

trebor