Monday,August 19, 2019, 16:01:57

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Monday,August 19, 2019, 16:01:57

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
24 Jun 2019 13:02:10
Is discord playing up
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 17:59:03
First try always:  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2nd try loads OK.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1679
  • Total Topics: 176
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Seriously excited!

Started by nate80, Thursday,February 22, 2018, 00:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

nate80

I've spent the past few months obsessively devouring every major preview and, then, review of the new prusa i3. All the niggling hardware and software issues appear to have been resolved, so today I took the plunge and have ordered a mk3 printer.  ::)  So excited by the prospect of printing without the need for sweaty brow and hair pulling!

So many fantastic features. Delivery is slated for March sometime. I can't wait.  :wack0

Gaza07

Nice one look forward to the review any chance of a link to the one you bought  ~~
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

nate80

This is the one:

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html?gmc_currency=7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvsiN87m62QIVS5PtCh3X3QefEAQYASABEgK0K_D_BwE

Apparently it's the most advanced hobby 3d printer just now. It does have a huge number of sensors and useful features. Self levelling, auto frame calibration, magnetic bendy print bed sheets, extruder skip sensor, filament out sensor, auto filament loading, auto print recovery after a power cut, sensors that detect when the wires aren't screwed tight to the motherboard, stepper motor drivers that do away with the need for end stop switches...!  :cool:  Honestly can hardly wait.

I'm sure I'll be happy to rustle up a review when it arrives  ~~

nate80

In further prep for the Prusa i3 MK3 I've bought a Raspberry PI Zero W and all the gubbins to attach it and a camera to the printers control board.  Never used a Pi before, or Octoprint for that matter, but the features look so useful it's a bit of a no brainer.  Being able to send files to the printer wirelessly and see what's going on remotely will be a game changer for me.

Just another month or so to go.   :waiting:

Sweet Pickle

Did you get it yet nate?
I've been using my MK2 since it first came out and despite a bust up with Prusa support along the way I've been extremely happy.
I have been tempted to go to a MK3 but right now touch wood everything is printing 100%.
If it ain't broke right?
Sold my last printer just as I had it running right.
Always something better in the horizon.

Would be really interested for a layman review instead of all the big YouTubers.

nate80

Not yet S.P. There's been a delay in manufacturing due to flu... apparently. Hoping it'll ship mid to late April but, having read the forums weekly, they don't seem very quick on the supply line

nate80

Looks like shipping of my MK3 will be some time after April 16th.   :crossfingers:

From everything I've learned I'd probably hang on to your MK2 for the time being, especially if it's dialled in and printing just how you like it.  ~~  I've heard nothing but praise for the MK2 from pretty much every corner of the web.  The MK3 is a definite improvement over the MK2/S with plenty of handy upgrades, but there are still all sorts of issues and gremlins (filament feed sensor failures, intermittent layer skipping, quality control etc.) that Prusa are trying to iron out that are affecting, or in some cases, plaguing some adopters. 

Prusa Research puts out new firmware frequently and the newest version looks to be solving many of the issues people have been experiencing, but I think it's going to be a few more months until the machine is as well sorted as the MK2 machine now is.  The delays on manufacture and supply of the MK3 machine, the upgrade kits (from MK2/S to MK3) and the Multi Material Kits makes me think that the MK3 is a bigger project than Josef Prusa first thought and will probably be around for a year or so yet before they upgrade it to the MK3S - when the debacle of delays and love/hate from buyers starts all over again.   :rolleyes:

When it turns up and I've had the time to test it I'll be sure to provide my thoughts.  :beer2:

shawdreamer

the Mk3 will almost certainly follow the same development path as the mk2 did.

as much the same as the mk2 its the end users that will inevitably "fix" the issues, granted Prusa do try their best to "iron out" or "fix" the issues with their printers but its only the end user that can really positively identify whats eventually needed to correct anything.

some might see it as a failing on the makers part but personally (and alot of others think similar), this way of development gives the end user a higher degree of involvement as to how the printer will evolve and subsequently just how flexible. adaptable and individually tailored it can be.

IF Prusa could do what every other manufacturer cant and go "bang, there you go a printer with zero issues, perfect in every way without any faults" then well done to them but that would mean that would be the end of that printers evolution.... it'd never be anything more than what it is as no one would bother trying to "fix" perfection and therefore no one would find new ways of making it work or new uses.

every new printer has its issues no matter who makes them, how long in development they took or how high grade they are, some of these issues are fundamental while other are merely annoying but they all have atleast one..... fixing them is part of what makes 3d printing so rewarding imho.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Bad Raven

I ordered my Kit on March 28th.  As of today it's in the "from May 21st" time span.
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Bad Raven

And it left Prusa today just after noon.................
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

nate80

:cool: Just a few more days.

Mine arrived a couple weeks ago, but I'm swamped with work now and, having waited so long and built 2 printers in the interim, not quite so excited anymore. My cats enjoy sitting on the box though, so it's getting some use at least.

nate80

Wednesday,August 29, 2018, 18:47:47 #11 Last Edit: Wednesday,August 29, 2018, 18:49:48 by nate80
I finally got round to building my MK3 the other day. I'm still testing it but I'm very impressed. I've built a couple Chinese printers previously and this was definitely the most involved kit. Not difficult but quite complex in its design. I didn't rush it and enjoyed every minute. Well, other than trying to force the 3mm nylon filament into the hole in the back of the extruder body to help guide cables - that bit was no fun  :rolleyes:

I took about 10 hours to carefully put it together and I've been very happy with the result. The frame's perfectly square and it passed all its setup checks with flying colours. It prints beautifully and, without any additional calibration, its accuracy on all 3 axis is almost perfect. It's early days but the printer, the support and prusas software design has all been great.

nate80

The forum seems quiet these days, but I thought I'd share a pic of one of the mk3's first prints, and my first ever benchy.

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

Bad Raven

Good, aren't they.

Mine is seeing almost daily use doing hobby parts more than ornaments, so "real" work.

The last BH weekend saw it and the Fabrikator II Mini work all day Sat and Sun on model railway parts. Its worked at least part of every day for the last two weeks, mostly avoiding overnighters.

One side of my plate has HobbyKing blue tape sheet for PETG over the unused so far coating, the other has a second layer of their smooth PEI sheet over the top of the original fitted on about the third day after I caused a small chip in the coating one side due to PETG over adhesion. (Be Warned!!)   Bed levelling is faultless and adhesion good.

Have you done the latest firmware update, filament fan mod, etc??

It had been mildly annoying that during a filament change (and I do a lot with currently 23 differing colour reels of PLA and 7 of PETG and Flex) the extruder head had to be moved up manually to see the nozzle. Now with the firmware update that is a memory. That alone was worth the time it takes.

I'm using IPA between every print and Acetone (neat not watered as often sold) about every ten prints, but less gap between if its a minimal contact part. Loss through lifting is rare and down to me!

Just done a part with the biggest contact surface yet, a "N" gauge Turntable disc, 170mm. Grey Polymaker PLA. Supports round outer flange, printed perfectly. Released perfectly OK.

I'm often running Detail mode and I do tend to print with it set slowly, as not (usually!) in any rush and found its better (and quieter, not that noise is an issue really).

Only Mod I have done is a black PVC angle across the "Z" top mouldings with concealed 5V COB LED strip (Banggood for pence, powered by an old phone PSU). Good glare free lighting over whole machine.

Was going to buy the Multi heads (Mk2) for it but now decided to wait and maybe build another with that unit, or whatever is this weeks design (!) by then.

Minor annoyances?

It sometimes leaves a tiny pip of filament on some of the nine test points which can migrate into the print on head movement if not removed as print starts.

IMO the removable spring steel bed plate is a must have.  I modded the Fab II Mini to have flex bed ability and it makes life SOOOOO much easier!

I did think I'd print a Benchy monthly to check for quality deterioration but confidence in it and good parts flowing from it has meant I have not done that so far, must do another to compare with June's!

Probably the best hobby purchase I have ever made!