Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:57:31

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:57:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
12 Sep 2019 17:37:38
Sugar Boom Boom !!!!
Hozza:
12 Sep 2019 10:07:52
BooM!
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1727
  • Total Topics: 179
  • Online Today: 4
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

PolyCarb specific printer

Started by shawdreamer, Thursday,November 16, 2017, 13:08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

shawdreamer

Ive been wanting more and more out of my quad frame prints lately and Ive been meaning to finish the enclosing of my Poltur XL printer and swap the extruder out for an all-metal again so I can get to work using some polycarb for some of the small high stress parts I make.

So I sat down last night and started making a list of materials for doing just that but as I continued to add more and more to the list I just started thinking "at this rate I might aswell just build another printer just for polycarb printing"

and it occured to me.... thats actually not a bad idea!, its not like I need a full size printer to make the parts I have in mind so something small would surfice, obviously given the requirements PC has to successfully print with it then your average off the shelf mini printer just aint gonna cut it.

290c+ at the tip (that'll kill anything but an allmetal extruder)
120c-140c on the bed (most stock heated beds struggle to get past 100c in my experience)

Now I have confidence that my Poltur XL can achieve both those needs (Ive ran a all metal upto 280c and the silicone pad heated bed will happily hit 140c (and thats on a 12-13.5v feed, 24v setup will probably make the bed surface glow :laugh:) , I tested both when first looking into PC) but.... I just dont need the massive build size of the Poltur, infact it'll just be a massive waste of lecky heating a 300x250 heated bed and ultimately keeping it at temp just for a 30x30mm part build :laugh:

So then the obvious course to me is to take all the usable qualities of my Poltur and shrink em into the smallest design I can come up with while trying to keep the reliability the Poltur has always shown me.

this is what Ive came up with so far...

small footprint (300x270) so it'll not take up to much space on my workbench, might even find its way to a speck on my desk alongside my pc (aslong as I can get it quiet enough)

fully enclosed, Ill have to build in a couple of thermostatic controlled fans to keep a nice stable temp inside though (printing PC can get quite toasty :sweating:)

100x100x150 build volume, which though small is more than enough for intended use

electronics, wiring, psu etc will be housed in the upper enclosed hood (separate from the printing enclosure and separately cooled of course)

not much point going into to anymore fine a detail just yet as its still a purely paper design and will no doubt go through many changes before reaching the physical build stage, just figured I chuck up what I have so far and see if anyone has any suggestions/ideas and opinions

Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Gaza07

Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

Doug

Quote from: Gaza07 on Thursday,November 16, 2017, 22:18:56
Very nice but 290c  :frantic:  :rofl:

Yeah PC requires those types of temps which usually means useing Thermocouples or PT100 sensors instead of the more usual thermistors and possibly better heatbreak/nozzle assemblies.

Doug

shawdreamer

Quote from: Gaza07 on Thursday,November 16, 2017, 22:18:56
Very nice but 290c  :frantic:  :rofl:

thats with a decent quality filament, Ive seen stuff ran at 300+ just so it'll flow clean. :wack0

thats why I figure it'll be easier to make a pc specific printer rather than an adaption of one of my current setups, its just as much work either way, extruders that are capable of that sort of temp and higher generally perform less well than your average extruder if you try running more conventional filament through them at lower temps which would mean either dual extruder setup (bulky, which I dont like) or swapping the extruder out when switching from Poly to abs,petg,pla etc (to much of a ballache and Im a bit bone idle ::))

Ill make this one a fully contained standalone type job which coupled with its small size and rigid integrated enclosure will make it usable for more portable needs.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs