Saturday,January 25, 2020, 04:36:32

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,January 25, 2020, 04:36:32

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
31 Dec 2019 17:06:55
Happy new year all hope 2020 is a cracking year for you   :beer2:
Hozza:
24 Dec 2019 06:26:25
Merry Christmas
Gaza07:
21 Dec 2019 15:22:04
Merry Christmas  :beer2:
Gaza07:
12 Sep 2019 17:37:38
Sugar Boom Boom !!!!
Hozza:
12 Sep 2019 10:07:52
BooM!
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1826
  • Total Topics: 194
  • Online Today: 1
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Theme Changer

thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Cube pro duo conversion

Started by NicolaFornasa, Wednesday,January 15, 2020, 07:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

NicolaFornasa

Good morning.  I recently had a cubepro duo but I realized that in addition to the problem of the filament spools, which are no longer produced but to which I have found a solution, that I don't like the software that manages printing and it is too closed.  I am used to a Delta industrial wasp and using cura I am fine.  Browsing I saw conversions.  Is it possible to convert it only by changing the logic board and that's it?  Keeping everything original?  It would be convenient for me to use two extruders and have a heated surface and not that useless oven .. what do you say?  Can someone with experience explain to me how to modify this printer?  Thanks

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Gaza07

I'm not familiar with this printer so can not say for sure but, I have converted a few machines using the duet 3d controllers, I had to fit new connectors to most of the wiring and print some parts  ~~
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

NicolaFornasa

Can you link me a tutorial on yt for convert my printer or another with your board ? Tanks

shawdreamer

aslong as the fundamental physicals of the machine are closely related to the most common counterparts (eg this motor moves that, that motor moves this etc) then swapping out to an entirely different control board isnt really an issue atall.

from the limited info I could quickly gather on your specific printer I can deduce its very likely to run on something as simple as a Ramps setups and all the way up to a duet (depending what your after performance wise)

Please dont take this as gospel but again from the limited info available your printer could run on a version of stock Prusa firmware aslong as the hardware is wired correctly for purpose.

that all said Im gonna stop now as Ive consumed a notable amount of alcohol in the last two-three hours (and thoroughly intend to maintain the level of intake) and therefore my advice my become incoherent, somewhat vague, outright gibberish or offensively amusing depending on you disposition  ~~

ps..... thank god for spellcheck
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

NicolaFornasa

Quote from: shawdreamer on Thursday,January 16, 2020, 19:02:44 aslong as the fundamental physicals of the machine are closely related to the most common counterparts (eg this motor moves that, that motor moves this etc) then swapping out to an entirely different control board isnt really an issue atall.

from the limited info I could quickly gather on your specific printer I can deduce its very likely to run on something as simple as a Ramps setups and all the way up to a duet (depending what your after performance wise)

Please dont take this as gospel but again from the limited info available your printer could run on a version of stock Prusa firmware aslong as the hardware is wired correctly for purpose.

that all said Im gonna stop now as Ive consumed a notable amount of alcohol in the last two-three hours (and thoroughly intend to maintain the level of intake) and therefore my advice my become incoherent, somewhat vague, outright gibberish or offensively amusing depending on you disposition  ~~

ps..... thank god for spellcheck

You are crazy
but you say to change only the firmware or to change the motherboard?

Gaza07

I didnt use a web site for my board changes as shawdreamer says it quite basic you connect the heater to heater connector and z drive to the z drive connection on the new board and so on, which may involve changing the type of connector used,
You possibly could go down the route of just flashing a new firmware to the board if it uses the standard ramps connection pins, but the board in your printer may be some proprietary version that doesnt use the standard layout which would make it more difficult but not impossible, but this would involve editing the firmware to suit your board if you could get the pin assignment details, It also helps to be a little crazy  :wack0   :laugh:
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 330mm build area
Custom built delta with Flex3Drive Gen 4 / Duet Electronics 180mm build area
AnyCubic 4max XY printer 210x210x300 build area
AnyCubic Kossel Mini 180x180x300 build area
Geetech A10M Dual Colour 220x220x260 build area
Kelant Orbeat D100 DLP/SLA

Multi-Rotor UK  YouTube  Thingiverse  3d-Printworx

NicolaFornasa

Quote from: Gaza07 on Friday,January 17, 2020, 03:48:36 I didnt use a web site for my board changes as shawdreamer says it quite basic you connect the heater to heater connector and z drive to the z drive connection on the new board and so on, which may involve changing the type of connector used,
You possibly could go down the route of just flashing a new firmware to the board if it uses the standard ramps connection pins, but the board in your printer may be some proprietary version that doesnt use the standard layout which would make it more difficult but not impossible, but this would involve editing the firmware to suit your board if you could get the pin assignment details, It also helps to be a little crazy  :wack0   :laugh:

This is the board.  I sincerely don't know how to do what you say

shawdreamer

At first glance I thought that was a stock Meltzi board myself but the closer I looked the more the component variance and connection placements make that assumption unlikely, that means that it very likely to be a proprietary control board specifically designed for that machine and the chances of there being other firmware easily available for it are unfortunately slim.

that would suggest that if you really want to change it out you have only two options, direct replacement (guaranteed to be expensive with proprietary gear) or a more open source control board with easily acquired varying firmware (eg: the aforementioned Ramps/Duet options)

however even if you choose the second option your gonna have some issues with connecting hardware as just by looking at that picture I can see the board connections use mini JST type connectors that are notably different than ones found on aftermarket boards, meaning you'll also need to swap them out.

In addition to that the likelyhood that the machines existing control interface (whether touchscreen or otherwise) being compatible without modification with any aftermarket board is also unlikely.

I suppose In answer to your original question then yes its probably possible to just change the control board to convert it to a more flexible firmware/software.

Is it viable to do so....Id have to say no, seems like to much faffing about and possible expense/stress.

my ultimate advise....

swap the entire control system out (mainboard, interface, connectors etc) for a more mainstream open source setup and be done with it entirely.

NicolaFornasa

Quote from: shawdreamer on Friday,January 17, 2020, 18:31:21 At first glance I thought that was a stock Meltzi board myself but the closer I looked the more the component variance and connection placements make that assumption unlikely, that means that it very likely to be a proprietary control board specifically designed for that machine and the chances of there being other firmware easily available for it are unfortunately slim.

that would suggest that if you really want to change it out you have only two options, direct replacement (guaranteed to be expensive with proprietary gear) or a more open source control board with easily acquired varying firmware (eg: the aforementioned Ramps/Duet options)

however even if you choose the second option your gonna have some issues with connecting hardware as just by looking at that picture I can see the board connections use mini JST type connectors that are notably different than ones found on aftermarket boards, meaning you'll also need to swap them out.

In addition to that the likelyhood that the machines existing control interface (whether touchscreen or otherwise) being compatible without modification with any aftermarket board is also unlikely.

I suppose In answer to your original question then yes its probably possible to just change the control board to convert it to a more flexible firmware/software.

Is it viable to do so....Id have to say no, seems like to much faffing about and possible expense/stress.

my ultimate advise....

swap the entire control system out (mainboard, interface, connectors etc) for a more mainstream open source setup and be done with it entirely.

What do you advise?
They suggested me to mount fysetc f6 with tmc5160 driver.
What do you think about it ?

shawdreamer

you'll have to forgive me but Im not familiar with that particular mainboard, the drivers however I have some experience with and can confirm they've proven to be stable solid performers when teamed with a decent board that can take advantage of their quality.

ultimately though it all comes down to just what level of performance your wanting out of your machine when choosing what control board, drivers and general hardware your gonna use.

basic boards such as the ramps and its many variants pretty much cover everything your general to intermediate printer user could ever want and beneficially dont break the bank in the process, alternatively theirs various other all-in-one type boards such as the meltzi's and the more capable duet boards (the latter being much better catered to a higher degree of precision and adaptability)

IF however....

the machine was mine and as yourself I was simply trying to give it a reasonable upgrade without going nuts or upgrading the control and drivers beyond what the machine can generally utilize effectively Id opt for a simple intermediate board like a GT2560 (a AIO ramps variant) which is cheap, reliable, easy to obtain, flexible, reasonably up-gradable, has masses of software/firmware support and user support knocking about the net.

that'd give your more or less basic machine a good solid foothold when it comes to printing higher quality items.

End of the day though..... its your machine..... you will need to decide what your after, can obtain and can afford to spend on it in terms of time, effort and money on getting it to a level you want.