Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:54:26

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome to Printing 3d. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 20, 2019, 02:54:26

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
12 Sep 2019 17:37:38
Sugar Boom Boom !!!!
Hozza:
12 Sep 2019 10:07:52
BooM!
Gaza07:
02 Jun 2019 10:29:04
we are back after a bad server crash
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 22:35:04
All OK now, looks like it was TalkTalk DNS servers
Bad Raven:
17 May 2019 18:06:19
Running ok here, try typing the url in stopping at the .uk
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 16:17:12
hmmm it should be fully prepegated now have you cleared your cache ? also make sure the link your using has no extra bits at the end like redirections.
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 15:36:41
mruk still saying 'Changing hosts we will be back soon !!!!'  for me?
Fingers crossed it runs sweet. Cheers
Gaza07:
17 May 2019 12:50:37
It moved yesterday afternoon just need to see how it runs and decide if its gonna stay there, I really dont want to move it again  :rolleyes:
ched999uk:
17 May 2019 11:28:52
Good luck for the mruk move.
Bad Raven:
16 May 2019 18:00:47
Cleared it.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1727
  • Total Topics: 179
  • Online Today: 4
  • Online Ever: 169
  • (Tuesday,October 30, 2018, 10:03:43 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Anet A8 extruder heater

Started by Wyntrblue, Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 12:00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyntrblue

Hi guys,

I’m finding that my heating element is slowly sliding out of the hot end when printing. I have tightened the grub screw as much as I can but it’s still working itself loose. Any tips on keeping the element in the extruder?

Cheers

Bad Raven

Might need more info and even better photos to provide positive help, but what does the screw tighten in, is it metal to metal?  In which case threadlock is the obvious first try?
HobbyKing Fabrikator II Mini, 100x100x100. (a Malyan printer re-badged) - Modded with magnetic Flex Bed

Original Prusa i3 Mk3 (All Black)

Wyntrblue

Quote from: Bad Raven on Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 13:06:18
Might need more info and even better photos to provide positive help, but what does the screw tighten in, is it metal to metal?  In which case threadlock is the obvious first try?

Ok the round bit is the heating element. There’s a grub screw that screws in from the bottom that supposed to hold the element in place. Iv got the screw as tight as I can but the element slowly slides out the back taking the temp sensor with it which if left unchecked will lead to a thermal runaway and probably a fire. I keep poking the element and sensor back in and I can feel the grub screw on the element but still it comes out....

I’m tempted to find some high temp glue and glue it all in...

Wyntrblue

This is what it looks like if it’s left unchecked for a while...

nate80

Difficult to be certain without seeing the rear of the heater block.  If the heater cartridge slides out (as already mentioned) try thread locking the grub screw, or taping the cartridge in place by wrapping aluminium tape around the heater block.  Glue will do it too, but you'll never easily get it all apart again and it seems a bit of a faff for future servicing and repair reasons.

Why does the thermistor come out when the heater cartridge moves?  Isn't the thermistor held in by a separate fixing?

Personally I'd keep it simple and spend a couple of quid on a new heater block *just make sure it's suitable for your printer/setup).  If the same thing continues to happen after installing a new heater block you'll know you've got another issue on your hands.

Wyntrblue

Pic of the rear of the heater block.

And I have some ali tape so when it’s finished it’s current print and cooled down I will try adding a few small strips to the element to help hold
It in place

shawdreamer

Im shocked...... a anet a8 with another potentially disastrous issue, seems unbelievable! :rolleyes:

get a roll of 10mm Kapton take and simply tape it to the heater block, the kapton tape wont melt.
Geeetech Prusa i3 pro-B (ABS Workhorse)
Pultur Prusa (my own design)
Poltur XL (my own "MUST BE BIGGER" design)
Poltur XL v.2 (my own "MUST BE BIGGER STILL, MUST USE EXTRUSION" design)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Wyntrblue

to be fair to the printer, for the money iv had very few issues with it and according to its statistics its now printed for 32days and 3hours since i put it together at christmas.

other than soldering on the connector on the heat bed and printing a belt tensioner this is the first thing thats happened thats given me pause for thought.

still ali tape seems to have resolved it, along with replacing the grub screw with a proper screw.

thanks all